Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Head Over Heels

I was first drawn to yoga by the beauty of the asanas. The way each pose showed off the natural lines and curves of the human body always kept me coming back for more. I loved the graceful arms that completed a Tree Pose and the strong legs needed to maintain a perfect Warrior II. But there was one pose in particular that I was determined to master – the headstand. As a beginner, the idea of being able to rest comfortably on my head was fascinating.

I was convinced that mastering this pose would put me among the more experienced yoga students in my classes who thought nothing of plopping their mats down in the front of the room, and set my sights on tackling Sirsasana. I hung out in the back of the class, struggling to set up a firm base that would allow me to bring my legs into the air with ease, only to leave unsuccessful and frustrated. From then on, I did my best to avoid the pose at all costs, choosing instead to rest in Child’s Pose or Legs up the Wall until the rest of my classmates were finished torturing themselves.

One day, I found myself in a small class with a teacher who gave us time at the end to play with our favorite inverted poses. Determined to conquer my nemesis, I asked the teacher to guide me into a headstand. After helping me set up my base, she gave me a few quick words of encouragement, "Don't be afraid to fall." In the next moment, I was surprised to find my legs above my head. After too many unsuccessful attempts to count, I had finally found my way into the king of all asanas. Once I got over the fear of falling on my face, the pose was much less intimidating, a lesson I try to apply in almost every aspect of my life now. Since that day, I've found a way to get myself up into Sirsasana every single day.

Yoga Mommy Tip – Headstand is a great pose for strengthening the core and improving circulation. In addition, inversions help to bring fresh oxygen to the face (Hello, gorgeous skin!), and can also help relieve the symptoms of mild depression. Be sure to keep the forearms pressed into your mat while in Sirsasana. This will help to create space between your shoulders and your head and neck and prevent injury.

No comments:

Post a Comment